Saturday, February 14, 2009

Before the candy goes on sale

Even if you are the worst blogger on earth, it's kind of obligatory to do a Valentine's Day post, right? Right. This year I'm trying to ignore Valentine's Day. Not hate it, just ignore it. To that effect, I thought it might be worth looking back to a time before V-Day was encumbered with expectations.

In kindergarten at my elementary school it was customary for parents to make valentines for their children, which were then displayed in the hallway around the classrooms. At some point during the week of the holiday each child would present their valentine to their classmates. My mom would get all creative on these things with fancy paper with dried flowers in it and those lethal gold ink pens that people totally get high off of and those weird scallop-edged scissors. I thinks she might've even gotten them laminated. For one year my younger sister and I were both in kindergarten at the same time, and that year Mom decided to work off of a Beatles kind of theme. Both my sister and I have Beatles songs with our name in them, but where Martha got a big "Martha My Dear" heart, "Eleanor Rigby" or "All The Lonely People" or "Died In A Church And Was Buried Along With Her Name" didn't fit as well for mine. I think it ended up titled "Oh, Eleanor..." and the theme stopped there. In the 14 years since I have tried to track down other songs with my name in them and I'll be damned if they aren't all about shitty ex-girlfriends. Except for "Elenore" by The Turtles, which is not how you spell my name.

Also in kindergarten we would have a buffet style ice cream social on Valentine's Day, which always ended with a teacher telling a child "Your eyes were bigger than your stomach."

No comments: