Thursday, November 27, 2008

Giving Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving! This holiday has changed a lot since I was a kid. Not literally changed, all of the traditions are the same - you eat turkey, you see family, you maybe talk about what you're thankful for that year. Whatever. But what I do on Thanksgiving has changed.

As I was growing up we celebrated with a small dinner at my parent's house. My dad would cook the turkey, my mom would do the mashed potatoes and the gravy and the stuffing and the green beans. My dad's parents and his brother would come over. It was very small, but nice.

Nowadays, which really translates to "after the divorce", I go to two celebrations. One is big and involves a family football game. The other is small and involves a restaurant. I'm getting used to it.

No comments: