Monday, November 24, 2008

Mocha Club


I was asked by Mocha Club to blog about why I need Africa more than Africa needs me. Mocha Club is a is a community-based website where members can start a team and invite friends to join them in giving $7 a month – the cost of 2 mochas – to support a project in Africa. Mocha Club's vision is to provide a way for people who don't have hundreds or thousands of dollars to make a difference in Africa.

I've only been to Africa once. It was the trip of a lifetime. I spent two weeks in South Africa, visiting both Cape Town and Johannesburg. Some people have told me that what I saw wasn't "real Africa", but I don't think that's necessarily true. Spending time in the township of Guguletu (I also briefly visited Soweto, but spent most of the trip in or around Gugs) certainly seemed real enough as I encountered HIV/AIDS, hunger, and poverty firsthand.

No comments: